Friday 20 August 2010

Surrogates




Great idea, bad execution


Lovers: Taken from IMDB

“The core scene in this movie is the one where the unHoly trinity carve things out."I played the 'only begotten son' card." "I, too, played the 'only begotten son' card." "Ah, so you, too, have realised that, in this game, that gets you total world domination for two thousand years?" "No, you bastard, I loved *my* son." And meanwhile the ice maiden who is also becoming-mother looks on in horrified fascination. What? Was I the only one who got that? I vote for Bruce & Milla. A bloke who'll take it on the chin and love his kids and the flesh & blood version of his wife, and a girl who'll get the job done and then hurry home to gestate .Or maybe I vote we play a better game.”


well, not clear what they are going on about. Maybe I wasn’t paying attention…

Haters: Taken from IMDB

“Well folks, after years of waiting it's finally arrived - a movie that consists entirely of plot holes. The movie begin with an utterly implausible premise (most people live their lives through robotic avatars - what, everyone? Even poor people?) and just goes downhill from there. This is an insult to the intelligence on an epic scale. The only good thing that I can say about it is that it was only an hour and a half long, but it's an hour and a half of my life that I'll never get back. It's really the most awfully shocking drivel. The exec who green-lit this steaming pile of donkey dung should be taken out and shot, and then brought back to life and shot again.”

Ok, only really one point made here and it’s a plot hole? Actually he should watch the film again it’s not a plot hole at all. It’s never implied that “everyone” is living through the surrogates and presumably most of the poor people are in with the rebel types?

What I thought:

It’s like every film of its sort, think i-robot or minority report, future sci fi, paranoia and conspiracy. More often than not they are all sadly predictable and all end in the same manner. Surrogates is no change to the norm and it’s not even that fun to watch. You know its bad when the only impressive thing on screen is the effect of making Bruce Willis look 20 years younger, it’s utterly convincing. I mean if I want to see that though I’ll watch Die Hard or something not this.

There's only really one decent set piece in what is painted as an action movie and no real suspense. That again is a shame as the idea is great and with facebook and other social network sites becoming the only way a lot of people communicate, it does ring true in a sense. Any higher purpose though is forgotten and it tries to be a thriller without the thrills. However some people may get a kick out of the concept and checking out Bruce circa 1988.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
"Films are Loved, Films are hated. I'm here to help you decide where you stand..." I also do web work including a good knowledge of HTML, ASP, using the adobe web package and a strong understanding of SEO, Google Analytics.