Wednesday 18 May 2011

The Kings Speech



A Thoroughly enjoyable English f f f f f f film

Lover: Taken from IMDB
“No spoilers here. I would like to let everyone know that this is an excellent film. I enjoyed it this week at the Mill Valley Film Festival in Marin County, CA. Given the outstanding cast and director, and my fascination with historical figures, I had high hopes for this film, though mixed with a certain resignation that I might be disappointed. There was no way I could have imagined how wonderful "The King's Speech" would be. There was abundant humor without the film ever becoming a comedy, drama without dreariness, and many deeply moving moments. I can't praise this film enough. It boosted my appreciation of the human capacity to become our best selves, and rise to meet even the most daunting challenges.”

A tad on the dramatic side but there is no doubt that The Kings Speech is an inspirational story.

Hater: Taken from IMDB
“I watched the movie in a local cinema the other night,I should admit I was caught in the web of marketing and media frenzy,,half way the show I lost my interest and with difficulty and hundreds of yawns I could go through the dragging,,,this could've been a play instead of a movie,,all the hype and media rush is because it was nominated for golden globe,,and we usually have a sort of pack mentality,the leaders(critics,golden globe etc.)said it worth to watch and we rush to see it,,believe me it is not. the title reveals a lot,the name of the movie is "the king's speech" so it is all about kings and queens and speech therapy and a very time consuming effort for George VI to become the next king after the previous George V,all the happening is about the period between two King Georges,if you wait for DVD you won't lose anything!!”

I knew what I was getting myself into with The Kings Speech a slow moving story of how one good man conquers a speech impediment under huge stress with the help of another good man. Anyone bored with the kings Speech is in the cinema for the wrong reasons.

What I thought:
Acting; that’s what I think of when I think of The Kings Speech. More specifically when actors take on real people, where is the line drawn between a brilliant piece of acting or just a very good impersonation. In Speech you get examples of both, at one end you have an almost pantomime impression of Winston Churchill by Timothy Spall and on the other a certain Oscar winner. Colin Firth has come a long way since wet shirts and high collars; he’s starting to brush off his bumbling English appeal in favour of grandeur.

Of course to play the stuttering monarch does include some of the English fool; however what it also required was an impressive take on a speech impediment and courage. A King asked to speak to his people on the break out of yet another war, when that King is infamous for his poor public speaking. Geoffery Rush of course is utterly sublime and though I haven’t seen The Fighter, I think it’s a crime he didn’t get that Oscar.

It’s just a slow moving film sure but a pace that suits its lead, the lessons with Lionel Logue skip by the best. With humour and an almost heart-warming ‘bromance’ it’s a pleasure to watch these two actors play off each other. The Kings Speech is an inspirational tale that despite Oscar will not be everyone’s cup of English Tea, for most though it’s a funny and moving story of an important moment in the history of The English Monarchy.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
"Films are Loved, Films are hated. I'm here to help you decide where you stand..." I also do web work including a good knowledge of HTML, ASP, using the adobe web package and a strong understanding of SEO, Google Analytics.