Saturday 20 November 2010

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows


It's Harry Potter but not as you know it

Lover: Taken from IMDB
"I just got home from watching Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I will try not to give any spoilers, but I thought it was one of the best movies yet. I thought moreover that it was fairly loyal to the book for once, as far as it was possible. I thought the tension build up was very good throughout the movie, I liked seeing the characters being slightly more matured. There are some new kind of 'special effects' in the movie, which was kind of weird to me at first, but I guess it fitted the story. I can't wait to see part two , even though I know what will happen.I will not tell you anymore, but it is definitely worthy to see it in the cinema:)"

Some good points, its certainly more mature than the rest. It's gotten more mature as its gone along but this one is quite a big jump! It is also very close to the book.

Hater: Taken from IMDB

"This is a terrible movie: it does not stand alone and present its own narrative ...on one level I can understand Harry and his classmates and such, but this just skims WAY over everything else. I admit to having not read the book but the previous movies allowed for that and presented a unified story - end to end - and this did not. WTH are all these esoteric details that we were supposed to either know from the book or remember from obscure references in prior films? This is the laziness of a big brand. I went to the midnight show but I may not even care to see the next film ...if its already in the can with this approach then I'm not going to 'get it' either ....too bad."

Well, clearly if you've seen the rest of the movies you weren't paying attention! its not hard to follow they are children's films at the end of the day! More importantly however, how can you watch Harry Potter without first reading the books! it seems impossible to me that anyone the slightest bit interested in Harry Potter has not even bothered picking up the books! foolish.

What i thought:
I thought it was great, but it will take some effort to really like it. Like the book Harry and his cohorts have been taken out of the comfort of Hogwarts and Dumbledore is dead. This is a hard world where characters begin dropping like flies as J.K Rowling pulled no punches. You genuinely worry for every character as any one could be next!

There will be the biggest problem, its going to lose some of its audience as some of the film is actually very scary and might not be suitable for the younger potter fans, though if they've read or been read the books it isn't nothing they haven't imagined before but at least its in their head and not in front of their eyes.

The main three continue to grow in acting ability, Emma Watson for me however was the stand out. She's dropped the mainly acting with her eyebrows and being over dramatic to reeling it in. Clearly now relishing the fact that the film explores Hermione's character to a much larger extent than ever beofore. Seeing the pain in obliterating your parents memory of you is genuinely heartbreaking and she plays it well.

So its everything you thought it would be, a Harry Potter road movie like the book was un-ashamedly shocking! Now bring on that finale!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
"Films are Loved, Films are hated. I'm here to help you decide where you stand..." I also do web work including a good knowledge of HTML, ASP, using the adobe web package and a strong understanding of SEO, Google Analytics.