Thursday 11 November 2010

27 Dresses


Cheesy or just plain queasy?

Lovers:Taken from IMDB
"This movie was terrific. Yes, it was the typical chick flick, yet I found the script just completely entrancing. The script did set this movie apart from the others. It was witty and funny. The acting was extremely well done. Katherine Heigl is so amazing. I couldn't imagine anyone better for the role of Jane. But my favorite person was James Marsden. I absolutely fell in love him. He was so clever and his smile was to die for. I did actually fear seeing this movie, thinking that it would be completely different from all the great reviews and that it would entirely ruin my night. On the contrary, it made my night all the better. I haven't seen a movie like this in awhile. I would certainly suggest seeing it ASAP."

Well, i don't really have much to say about this review, although i have to say i don't see how James Marsdens smile being something to die for has anything to do with the movie itself?

Hater: Taken from IMDB
"Like many girls, I enjoy the occasional romantic chick-flick now and again, and I was actually looking forward to watching this one. Not because I thought it would be a life-changing masterpiece, but because I thought I would have fun for the next two hours or so, and could turn my TV off with a smile on my face. Instead, what I got was goosebumps, a funny feeling in my stomach, and almost a teensy-weensy tear in my eye, for this film is one of the worst films I have seen in many years. Everything about it, from the script, the dialogs, the characters, the acting... I can best describe this film with the words "pretentious, over the top, silly (and NOT in a good way), boring, downright stupid..." *sigh*... I only watched this incredibly awful movie to the end, to... well... I don't really know... it was not because I wanted to make sure the ending would be EXACTLY like I knew it was going to be, because there was no doubt about that... it was more like watching a train wreck... you want to look away, but yet somehow, you just ... can't... stop... looking... If Katherine Heigl wants to make it big in Hollywood she most definitely has to choose her next role a little better. Reading the script before she says yes might be a good place to start."

Well that's pretty harsh, i didn't think it was that bad?

What i thought:
It is almost true of every romantic comedy I see and I’ll say the same thing every time I watch one; they are shamefully predictable and samey. Then again you have to view them from other people’s viewpoint, of course the majority of the “other people” is of course women. It’s no secret that these films are aimed squarely at their purses but they don’t care, for half an hour they are transported to a world where the man round the next corner looks like Colin Firth, we are all arseholes but turn out to be proper gentleman and of course love. I’m not cynical I mean I’m in love but the way these films portray love is not real, that’s the secret though, most women won’t admit it but they long to swept off their feet like in these films. The sad truth is the best they’ll get is being swept off their feet by the man off his head.

Of course I’m being a bit unfair, we’re not all like that, I know I’m not and also I’m going a bit off the point. 27 dresses is a Romantic comedy that takes the saying “always a bridesmaid never a bride” and runs with it. Katherine Heigl is our heroine and what a loveable heroine she is, I thought she was brilliant in Knocked Up and the same can be said for this film, most of the time. When you’re not busy wincing over how cheesy this film is at times it’s incredibly easy to feel sorry for her, she has such an emotive face. That’s basically it, I would write more but the rest of the film is so factory shop rom-com that I fail to see the point.

Available on Blu-Ray and DVD
Cert: 12
Running Time: 111 mins

No comments:

About Me

My photo
"Films are Loved, Films are hated. I'm here to help you decide where you stand..." I also do web work including a good knowledge of HTML, ASP, using the adobe web package and a strong understanding of SEO, Google Analytics.