Wednesday 22 September 2010

Twilight




Glittery skin!? Seriously!?

Lover: Taken from IMDB
“I am obsessed with the books. I was a little nervous to see the movie because books are always better.... and I was worried this movie would ruin everything. But WOW! It was so good. Much better than I expected it to be. The cast for it was all perfect. They couldn't have picked anyone better for Edward. Bella, Esme, Charlisle, James, Jacob, Jasper, Rosalie and especially Alice were all perfect. I think anyone should go to this movie. It follows the book well, leaving out some things but thats OK because they can't fit everything in it. I encourage all of you to go see it! Im going to it again tomorrow night. Its my new favorite movie. I love it so much and everyone needs to go see it!”

Clearly a “Twi-hard” fan and who am I to batter a fans opinion of something they are passion about.

Hater: Taken from IMDB
“I've never wanted to walk out of a movie so badly. I think you should give the film a chance to develop fully before forming an opinion. This was certainly not a "film" with any substance. The acting was horrible, the script was horrible, the whole thing was rushed and insubstantial. For being such a predicted box office hit, given the already large fan base, the budget must have been dismal. I think you would need to be no older than 10 to enjoy this film, but the kissing scene in Bella's bedroom was too passionate for a kid's movie (Bella's in her panties!?). In the books it takes them a long time to move forward with their physical relationship. The story was clearly written with teens in mind but still enjoyable for adults. The movie was a cringer.”

Well “nail on the head springs to mind” written for teens.

What I thought:
I should say first of all, I have never read the books. That’s mainly because it’s shelved in the teenage section of a bookshop. It’s just not something I want to read. That out of the way lets look at Twilight as a movie shall we. My first point I want to make is that I’m all for re writing a myth or legend for your story, it works in movies. Just look at Blade, Steven Dorff can magically go outside just by wearing sun screen!? It’s still a wicked movie! However explaining that vampires don’t go out in the sun because if they do they glitter like diamonds? You can not be serious! I mean it, say just for argument sake that the books had never come out and someone said that to you? It’s just stupid!

I can see where the movie is going, a strong central relationship, it should evoke teenage feelings of insecurity, isolation and even discrimination. However despite strong actors, (Kristen Stewart was great in Adventureland and Robert Patterson who I thought was a great Cedric Diggory) the central pairing had no chemistry. The chemistry they did have felt forced and not natural, if that fails so does the film. Especially when anything else in the film, the family Cullen, the school friends, the father daughter relationship and some random rogue vampires fall completely at the wayside. So when they do come into the film its like wow, where did you come from!

It’s a fan thing though I understand; I liked The X-Files: I Want to Believe but the critics gave it a beating. I didn’t care because I’m fanatical about the X Files. So this opinion is mine and looking forward to seeing if the movies like with the Harry Potter series get better as they go on.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
"Films are Loved, Films are hated. I'm here to help you decide where you stand..." I also do web work including a good knowledge of HTML, ASP, using the adobe web package and a strong understanding of SEO, Google Analytics.