Monday 17 May 2010

Nick and Norah’s nostalgia trip




Lovers: Taken from IMDB

“I've seen a ton of romantic comedies, some are good, some are awful; very few are really really good.... You guessed it... wow! Did we love this: smart, dippy, cutting, funny in all shades of funny, sweet romantic with a down low low-fi edge, up to date and even occasionally over the top this was far and away our favorite romantic comedy of the year and I'm giving it a solid ten in its genre. Need to go on a date movie? This is your bucket of chicken - I promise you'll leave feeling lighter and curly wurly. Very well directed by Peter Sollett it really brings an affection to its making and he's a name to look out for if you ask us... All in all kind of our bag through and through... go see...”

A nice review for a nice movie.

Haters: Taken from IMDB

“I'm not sure why or how this happened, but there seems to be an escalating amount of Jewish driven comedies emerging on the Hollywood Scene. I don't quite remember where it started, perhaps with the presence of Natalie Portman... who knows. Anyway, with that film about the Amusement Park this past summer to this film, movies that depict entire American communities as being nothing but Jewish kids is kind of offensive and discomforting. Where are the Christains or Muslims in these movies? Secondly, the characters were empty, think, nothing but makeup on skin. Sure they were all good looking on screen, but there really wasn't anything to them or the silly little story that they were thrown into. A night on the town of New York has been done too many times to be innovative.
1 Star, worth skipping.”


A rather controversial view of religion in not just this film but a lot of films, hmm? I could see his point if these films were supposed to have a religious angle but they don’t so I don’t see why he’s got his knickers in a twist!

What I thought:

For me Nick and Norah was a great nostalgic trip into my misspent youth. I was having a conversation the other day about the kind of music you listen to and the way it defines you. Back in the day I use to listen to quite heavy stuff but not because I was angry at my parents. I appreciated the energy, I like high energy songs and still do, what I was angry about back then was girls, which meant I was into what they call “pop punk”.

The point I’m trying to make here is that Infinite playlist made me feel the same way that music use to make me feel. It reminded what a first kiss felt like when you were a teenager, it reminded me what that first awkward fondle was like or how it felt when she broke your heart. It does this by being unashamedly cute, with Michael Cera using on his awkward type cast once again (if it aint broken why fix it?).

The majority of the cast are terrible stereotypes but weren’t we all at some point. This film is a pleasant watch and may take some of you on a journey to your past endeavours; or rather weirdly put you on a defensive about religious groups portrayed in movies?

No comments:

About Me

My photo
"Films are Loved, Films are hated. I'm here to help you decide where you stand..." I also do web work including a good knowledge of HTML, ASP, using the adobe web package and a strong understanding of SEO, Google Analytics.