Friday 14 May 2010

Where no director had been before



Lovers: Taken from IMDB
 
“So I managed to go to the world premiere at the Sydney opera house last night. While I will not ruin the film before its release by delivering a shot by shot review here I will say that JJ Abrams is quite possibly the smartest film maker on the planet. Managing to poke fun at some of the sillier aspects of the original series/movies while still being completely respectful, action scenes that easily rival anything in Transformers, and space battles that are breathtaking. Now let me just say that while I do consider myself a big fan of Trek in all its forms, i don't have a uniform hanging in my wardrobe and I cant speak Klingon, but having said that I will say the movie is F###ING AMAZING...!!! Honestly, incredible film, do yourself a favour and see it as soon as it comes out. thanks, the end.”

Sums up the movie pretty well I think.

Haters: Taken from IMDB
 
“Darth Vader, err, Darth Maul - umm, I mean Nero - has this huge, gigantic awesome Death Star - err, I mean Mining Ship, that can destroy entire planets. So Nero blows up Alderaan - umm, I mean Vulcan, killing Princess Leia's father - I mean, Spock's mother. And then the Death Star homes in on the Rebel Base - Umm, I mean the mining ship homes in on Starfleet headquarters, and only Luke Skywalker can stop it by ignoring orders and turning off his targeting computer and trusting the Force - no, I mean only Jim Kirk can stop it by ignoring Starfleet's orders and trusting his instincts. It's a good thing Old Ben Kenobi was there to give Kirk that fatherly advice earlier - no, wait, that was Captain Pike.”

Brilliant review, almost certainly a star trek fanboy with a bee in his bonnet! He does have a point but who cares when the film is just so much fun!

What I Thought:

I can understand the fanboys point of view, it’s not a good feeling when someone comes along and messes with the formula of something your fanatic about. There has to be a line drawn somewhere though, Star Trek is a great film forget reboot or re imagining or whatever, it’s an entertaining popcorn blockbuster. Just because some fan has got on their high horse about some plot holes and it being different from the original should not put anyone off seeing it.

JJ Abram’s has pulled something that no one thought he could do, he took a franchise that was dead in the water and gave it a good kick into maximum warp! This Star Trek is the most accessible, not bogged down in science talk or political intrigue just good fun. The casting is the main thing for me, re-casting those iconic characters must have been one hell of a task but every actor shouldered the responsibility really well. Each one bringing back the characters with youth and energy only added to the lightning pace screenplay.

For more on Star Trek form me you can check out the review on the right…

No comments:

About Me

My photo
"Films are Loved, Films are hated. I'm here to help you decide where you stand..." I also do web work including a good knowledge of HTML, ASP, using the adobe web package and a strong understanding of SEO, Google Analytics.